Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Psalm 23

It's interesting to me how often the Bible (OT and NT) uses the shepherding imagery to describe the relationship between God and men. But I think we often pass over many of these images too quickly without really understanding what we have read because we don't have the background of an ancient Middle Easterner. After reading Psalm 23 the verse I found myself going back to was the second half of verse 4, "I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me." I asked myself why the rod and staff of a shepherd would be comforting to a sheep. Unsatisfied with my own answers I did a little reading and here's what I came up with.

One of the uses of the shepherd's staff was that of discipline. When a sheep began to wonder off in search of "greener pastures," or was getting ready to eat something that might have been harmful, the shepherd would often throw his staff in the area of the wandering sheep to send back to the rest of the herd. The shepherd, desiring that none of his sheep be lost or get themselves into situations they couldn't get out of, disciplined his flock for their good. The majority of shepherd's staffs also had a hook which could be used to stop a sheep from going a certain direction or to rescue a sheep.

Another use of the shepherd's staff was to count and examine his flock. As the sheep would pass by the shepherd would stop each sheep. It turns out that while sheep can look like they are in good shape from their outward appearance, one must check the skin underneath the wool to make sure they are healthy and fit. Once a sheep was stopped the shepherd would use his staff to part the wool and see whether or not the sheep was sick or had been wounded.

The good shepherd would also use his staff for protection in times of need. The staff really was the only weapon a shepherd had available in biblical times. The staff was usually carved from a young sappling to ensure strength and longevity and could be used as a club or thrown like a spear. This was how the shepherd would drive off wolves and other predators.

Finally the staff of a shepherd was used to lead his flock. If some of the sheep began walking in a direction other than where the shepherd was leading them, he would come alongside the sheep placing the staff on the side of the sheep and gently apply pressure until the sheep were back on track.

I think these are the types of images David had in his head when he wrote this Psalm. The staff was a symbol of strength and power and was viewed as an extension of the owner's right arm. I'm sure most of you have already made the connection between the staff and the comfort it brings because it is in the hand of the Lord, but if you haven't, I encourage you to go back and read the uses of the staff and then apply them to how our God uses them for our benefit. God will discipline us when need be, rescue us, protect us from danger, and lead us to "green pastures" and "still waters" (vs. 2). As our shepherd He knows what is best for us and will see it through to completion on the day that we, as David, "shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever" (vs. 6).

Hope everyone has a great week and don't forget that everyone is an image bearer of God! Ray.

4 comments:

B.B.Y.A.M. said...

Awesome! Thanks, Ray.
How's the carving of your staff coming?
Amy

B.B.Y.A.M. said...

Maybe instead of the Red Sea narrative, you should carve Psalm 23 into your staff.

Glenn

Anonymous said...

I love the extra look into the purpose of the staff. I have read this passage so many times but I am blown away that God still has new points to bring to our attention. I continue to be amazed by the power of the word of God. Thanks!
Chelsea

B.B.Y.A.M. said...

Ok, are they serious? Are you really carving a staff? I agree with Chelsea...a passage that is so familiar, and I've never really thought about the different uses of a staff! Thanks for the insight!

Em