Monday, January 21, 2008

Psalm 21

Psalm 21 is a beautiful expression of one who is rejoicing over what God has granted him. I like to call this attitude "being overtaken by the blessings of the Lord" (see Deut. 28:2).

David has just experienced a victory of which he knows is from the Lord’s hand. He is overtaken with the goodness of the Lord and begins to verbally praise and thank Him. But David’s attitude is more than just, "Hey, thanks, God." David’s whole being, his whole attitude, has been radically caught up in thanksgiving. Listen to his words in verses 1-7. David is experiencing true joy in the victory in verse 1. He is acknowledging that God answered his heartfelt prayer in verse 2. He is enjoying living under the blessings of the Lord in verses 3-5. He is experiencing real gladness from just being in the presence of God in verse 6. And David realizes that all these blessings come from trusting in the Lord in verse 7.

Does not such thanksgiving strengthen one’s faith? Absolutely, Yes!

I think such experiences become those spiritual monuments on which our faith is strengthened and encouraged in the future. In fact, David continues his psalm in verses 8-11 by voicing his confidence in the Lord in the days to come. David then ends his psalm with a final exclamation of praise, "Be exalted, O Lord, in Your strength; we will sing and praise Your might."

Upon my first reading of Psalm 21, I very quickly identified with the attitude of David. There have been those times when I have been so overtaken by the presence and working of the Holy Spirit in my life that I am caught up in thanksgiving and praise to the Lord. Those times have without a doubt been the sweetest times of my life. During Old Testament days, the Israelites were often called to build a stone monument to remember the faithfulness of the Lord. I, too, have a monument but not one made of stones. My monument is made up of powerful, spirit-changing occasions when God blessed me with a touch of His presence. It has been in those times that I am reminded that He is my all-sufficient God. He is all I will ever need. He alone grants me the deepest desires of my heart, everyone of them. He makes me glad!!

By the way, these times have come for me when I least expected them. In fact, more often than not, I am overtaken by the blessing of His presence when I am going through a valley. And every time, the joy of experiencing God has overshadowed that thing that is plaguing me. He is so amazingly good!!!

Can you identify with David? There is nothing sweeter than the presence of the Lord. Trust in the unfailing love of the Most High. Eternal blessings await you, and you will not be shaken.

Amy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here Here! good post Amy. all of us have to have our attitude adjusted every so often. I'm going to go work on mine now. Thanks!

B.B.Y.A.M. said...

I like how you said that you are amazed at his presence when you are least expecting it...when you are in the valley...I completely agree! He just pulls you back to himself!

Em