Monday, January 21, 2008

Psalm 20: Pride or Trust?

before you read this psalm today I really encourage everyone to ask themselves a question. Am I too proud to cry out to God for help?

people in our society come to God in many different ways. Some come to God skeptical. Some come to God with doubts or with hard questions looking for an answer. Some people come to God looking for what they can get out of Him. Most of the time its an answer to a certain prayer. You see, when people are forced into a corner with a difficult question about life or a problem that is too big for them, everyone, in some way, goes to a higher power, mainly, their version of God. I want David to challenge all of our thinking with his words in this Psalm.

The Way you come to God or, said differently, the way you approach God in prayer is very important. Consider what James tells us about prayer. He tells us , "but let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord. He is a double minded man, unstable in all his ways." The reason that he is unstable is because he really does not believe that the Lord is who he says he is. In fact, if you think about, it makes no sense to pray to the LORD and then doubt because what makes Him Lord is the fact that He can do anything. So let me ask you now. are you unstable? Do you approach the Lord of the universe flippantly? Do you approach the King with the mindset of David. The mentality that knows, not doubts or even thinks that the Lord is a God who answers prayers. Have you really thought about that before. God is a God who answers prayer! David says, "he will answer from his holy heaven with the saving might of his right hand."

People during Jesus day had the same problem we did. they doubt when coming to Jesus. consider some of them. there were the Pharisees. They approached Jesus with doubts as to who He was. They questioned him with the intentions to trap him. Some came to Jesus attempting to justify themselves, like the rich young ruler. Some came simply looking for a show or a display like king Herod. Some wanted to kill him. either way Jesus Knew the intentions of their hearts and exposed them all. But there were some who came to Jesus knowing His power like the blind man, the Centurion or even the woman who washed His feet with expensive perfume. Two blind men cried out to Jesus, "Lord Save Me!" this is the way we should approach God, knowing, not thinking that he can save you. Again, either way God knows you heart.

Do you really believe God saves? Do you really believe God answers your prayers? or are you in you little spiritual boat being drivin and tossed by the wind?

Read what David says. "may the Lord answer you in the day of trouble." My he grant you your hearts desire and fulfill all your plans." May the Lord fulfill all your petitions (which is just a fancy word for prayer.

Verse 7 is the meat of the Psalm when David says, "some trust in horses and other in chariots (not to be confused with carrots) but we trust in the name of the Lord our God."

Do you really trust? One thing I think would help us would be to consider in our past when God has answered your prayers and think about those times. This time last year we were praying for my little brother to be saved. this year he is! God is a God who answers our prayers.

"May He answer us when we call"

I hope this encourages you all. sorry I'm late. I prayed God would make all of you think it was really the 20th. we'll see if he answers that prayer or not!

2 comments:

B.B.Y.A.M. said...

O good, it's just the 20th. I thought it was the 21st and I had to stay up late typing my blog!!! Anyway, thank you for your words - spoken directly to my heart!
Amy

B.B.Y.A.M. said...

I really am encouraged by what you had to say...it is something I really struggle with. Especially when I am praying for someone's salvation! I believe that I have faith...I've seen him save people, but the person I pray for doesn't get saved. I guess I'm just impatient and have to learn that everything is not in my timing, but in the Lord's!

Em