Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Psalm 42: Need a Drink?

Psalm 42:1-2 "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, the living God. When can I go and meet with God?"

Have you ever been outside on a really hot day with nothing to drink? Your mouth is dry and you would give almost anything for a glass of water. Thats when I walk up to you and generously sell you a bottle of water for $50. You chug down the water and your thirst is satisfied. About an hour later, with the sun still beaming down on you, you become thirsty again. Luckily, I am right there to help you out again. You begin begging me for another bottle of water. Because I am so kind, I only charge you $20 this time. Of course you pay me the $20 and then drink the bottle of water because you are dying for a drink. But once again your thirst is only satisfied temporarily. I am raking in the dough and you're going broke. Why is this? Jesus suddenly walks up and gives you the answer, "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." (John 4:13)

By the way did I mention where I got the bottles of water I was selling you? Well, I got the water straight from the Ohio River without purifying it at all. I don't know if you've seen the Ohio River lately, but its pretty nasty!

As seen in the above illustration, the reason you're going broke is that your drinking the wrong kind of water and you're paying ridiculous prices for it. This is a pretty stupid thing to do when you can get all the water you want out of the faucet for free. Jesus is the water faucet. He is the never ending supply of water and he can truly satisfy your thirst. Don't believe me, then try sticking your head under the water faucet with your mouth wide open and turn on the water. I guarantee you that you won't be able to consume it all! And not only that, its free! Revelation 22:17 "...Whoever is thirsty,let him come; whoever wishes, let him take the FREE gift of the water of life."

It seems really dumb to pay money for nasty water that will probably end up killing you, when you can get perfectly pure water for free. However, this is what we do when we try to satisfy ourselves through sin. We temporarily satisfy our thirst with filthy sin. However, we are never satisfied so we keep going back for more until it finally kills us. How much better is it for our thirst to be satisfied by the pureness of Jesus Christ? Its better water at a lower cost! If you walk into a store and the name brand is cheaper than the knock-off brand, which would you buy?

Let our desire be for the Lord Jesus Christ and may he satisfy our thirst!

Additional Info:
If you want more info on this topic go to the library and check out the book called "I need a drink" by Ben Thurston. (get it "been thirstin")

Bryan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ta dum chhhh...

i felt that last line needed a few drum shots after it

anyways, excellent post bryan. with your excellencies permission, i'll definitely use this analogy some time in the future